August 12, 2007

Monticello
The home of Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson's inspiration for the design of this home came from his time he spent in Paris. Monticello is a three story, 21 room plantation home on over 5000 acres. It took 40 years to complete this house. Jefferson quote- "... all my wishes end, where I hope my days will end, at Monticello" and his wished did come true he ended up dying on July 4, 1826 in his bed chamber. Its ironic that the author of the Declaration of Independence died 50 years to the date of the signing. Little trivia- did you know that just hours after Jefferson died- John Adams also died. There is a cemetery at Monticello where Jefferson is buried there and all decedents of Jefferson can be buried there.

This is the front view of the house, below is the back of the house. Cameras were not allowed inside


This was the kitchen area underneath the house all the dependencies were underneath the house including the privi there are two of them, beer cellar, wine cellar,and ware storage.

I kid you not, when I walked into this smokehouse I could still smell the smoke!
Posted by Picasa